Second Chances

by darkhavens


Pairing/Characters: McKay/Sheppard
Rating: PG-13
Words: 500
Spoilers/Warnings: Siege II coda
Summary: If Rodney had the chance to do a few things over...


If he had the chance to do them over again, Rodney might do a few things differently…

He probably wouldn't have jerry-rigged his and John's mikes to let them talk privately, without the others hearing. John had never said, but Rodney was pretty damn sure he'd been distracted by a running blowjob commentary just before he'd run into that web and got his neck chomped. No, he'd never said, but Rodney knew - it really was just his luck.

He definitely wouldn't have made such a fuss about that MENSA thing. It wasn't as though he hadn't already known that John was smart and pretty. It was just the way it came out that made him mad enough to spit. Or, as it turned out, mad enough to use the environmental controls to turn a certain major's bedroom into a swamp. Hmmm. Of course, that had netted him a roommate for a month, until the moulds had been cultured and found harmless. But sleeping on the floor alone had been no fun at all.

Berating John for saving his life and that of the other scientists, not to mention the people in the mess hall, had been stupid. He'd ranted long and hard until, finally, John had turned and left, and Rodney had been stunned into inaction. By the time he'd settled down enough to chase after his lover, John had been indignant and impossible to please. They'd fought again and ended up at opposite ends of the city, sulking and trying not to be the first to back down.

And then there had been The Chaya Incident, which wouldn't have been so bad if it had happened any other time. But no, the alien priestess had to choose that very moment to try to steal John out from under his nose, and she'd nearly managed it!

Oh, yes, if he'd had the chance to do that hall scene over again, he would have latched onto John like a personal limpet and never let go. He would have kissed the idiot until he couldn't think of anyone else, and then led him off to his bedroom under her Ancient nose. That would have shown her. And John.

If he were composing his letter home now he'd know just what to say. He'd tell Jeannie about the love he'd found and how he understood. He'd tell her he was happy here; he'd tell her not to worry. He'd tell her he'd try to see her if he could, if he ever got back. He'd also talk about leadership and how John was his example. Or maybe not, that ego was certainly big enough already, and he knew Ford wouldn't be able to resist a chance like that.

But none of that was possible now; he'd never have those chances. And he'd never have the chance to say a real goodbye to John.

Rodney watched the glowing dots move closer, then converge, and wished he had a chance to do this over.


 

 

back to fics

back to slashverse